Dua before and after eating for a Muslim does not seem to be unfamiliar, as we know in Islam all activities should be started with prayer including before and after meals. On this occasion we will share the prayer. Therefore, keep reading our article this time until it’s over.
Reciting prayers before and after meals is a adab taught by the Prophet Muhammad SAW to Muslims in dining. This is recommended as a form of gratitude for every Muslim to Allah Almighty for the abundance of his favors and gifts. Not only gaining merit, a Muslim who reads prayers before and after eating will undoubtedly get mental and physical health.
Reading prayers before eating is also an effort so that when eating avoids the interference of demons who always tempt humans. By praying before eating, humans hope that the food that enters the body provides benefits and avoids harmful toxins.
This good habit must be ingrained from an early age, including if you have children then let them get used to it so that they get used to it and can be carried away until adulthood.
Reading Of Dua Before And After Eating
What is the dua you say before eating meal? Here we share prayers that you must read, in order to make it easier for us to share in various formats
Dua Before Eating
There are several hadith histories that explain this, and the most valid before eating should read:
Dua Before Eating Bismillah
In The Name Of Allah
In addition to reading Bismillah there are also the following dua:
اللَّهُمَّ بَارِكْ لَنَا فِيمَا رَزَقْتَنَا وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ
“Allahumma barik lana fima razaqtana waqina azaban-nar”
“O Allah! Bless us in what You have provided us with and protect us from the punishment of the Fire.”
Dua After Eating
When you finish eating, it’s a good idea to read the dua as a form of gratitude for all the sustenance that Allah Almighty has given.
الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا وَسَقَانَا وَجَعَلَنَا مُسْلِمِينَ
“Alhamdu-lillahil-lazi at’amana wa saqana wa ja’alana muslimin”
“All praise is due to Allah Who have given us food and drinks and ordained us as Muslims”
Etiquette For Eating
It’s not just a prayer to eat. Muslims should also know the etiquette of eating well according to religious teachings. This etiquette will later be able to shape Muslims and Muslim women into individuals who obey their religious teachings. So how is the prayer reading before and after complete with hadith and its etiquette?
- Reading the meal prayer, both before and after eating the dish
- Washing hands before eating
- Only eat food and drinks from halal sources
- Let food and drink be done while sitting
- Not taking or consuming food and beverages in excess
- Be polite when consuming food and drinks
- Read the Dua when finished
Verses Of Al-Quran About Eating
فَكُلُوا مِمَّا رَزَقَكُمُ اللَّهُ حَلَالًا طَيِّبًا وَاشْكُرُوا نِعْمَتَ اللَّهِ إِن كُنتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ
“Then eat of what Allah has provided for you (which is) lawful and good. And be grateful for the favour of Allah, if it is (indeed) Him that you worship.”(Surah An-Nahl, 16:114)
Hadith About Dua Before And After Eating
Here are some hadiths about eating:
- Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “When one of you eats a meal, let him begin in the name of Allah. If he forgets to say it in the beginning, let him say: In the name of Allah, in its beginning and its ending.”Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 1858
- Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, if he wanted to sleep while he was in a state of major ritual impurity, he would perform ablution. If he wanted to eat or drink, he would first wash his hands and then eat or drink.Source: Sunan al-Nasā’ī 258
- Ibn Abbas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever is provided food from Allah, let him say: O Allah, bless us in it and feed us with what is even better. Whoever is provided a drink of milk from Allah, let him say: O Allah, bless us in it and provide us with more.”Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 3455
- Narrated by Imam Malik that traces back to the Tabi’in (figures that met the companions of the Prophet s.a.w) Urwah Ibn Az-Zubayr: Allahumma barik lana fima razaqtana waqina azaban-nar(Muwatta’ Malik)
- The Prophet s.a.w. Also taught us the following Dua: Alhamdu-lillahil-lazi at’amana wa saqana wa ja’alana muslimin(Sunan At-Tirmizi)
- Narated in Al-bukhari by Abu Umamah, may Allah be pleased with him: Whenever the Prophet (saws) finished a meal, he would say: “Al-hamdu lillahi hamdan kathiran taiyyiban mubarakan fihi, ghaira makfiyyin wa la muwadda`in, wa la mustaghnan `anhu, Rabbuna. (All praise is due to Allah, praise which is abundant, pure, and full of blessings, which is indispensable and to which one cannot be indifferent).” Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 5458 In-book reference : Book 70, Hadith 87
That’s a fairly long explanation of the dua before and after eating that we can share, hopefully you will be helped. Finally, hopefully we can get used to reading the above prayers so that what we eat and drink can bring blessings to us.