Surah Ad-Duha is the 93rd surah in the Qur’an. This surah is classified as Makkiyah because it was revealed in the city of Mecca. Surah Ad-Duha consists of 11 verses. Surah in is often read in congregational prayers, as well as if someone performs duha prayers. The name of this surah is taken from the first verse of Adh-Dhuhaa, which means: “the time of the Sun is like rising”.
In general, surah Ad-Dhuha describes the maintenance of Allah swt against the prophet Muhammad PBUH which never stopped even for a moment, dismissing the Quraysh infidels’ claim that he was abandoned by his God, the prohibition of treating orphans and beggars badly, and Allah’s command to the prophet PBUH to be grateful for all favors.
As most surahs in the Qur’an always have a background of events behind them that caused the surah to be taken down, so does surah Ad Dhuha also have the anxiety of the prophet Muhammad PBUH due to the cessation of revelation from Allah SWT for some time.
The absence of this Qur’an revelation continued for a long period. Some stories indicate it took 2 or 3 days, others say it took 12 days, like al-Thabari, while others say it took 15 to 40 days. However, the extent of the prophet Muhammad’s concern saw until al-Maraghi stated he was almost frustrated suggests that it occurred over a long period of time.
When the anxiety of the prophet Muhammad PBUH was at its peak, Allah SWT then lowered surah Ad-Dhuha in response to the questions and insults leveled by the pagans of Mecca who considered that the Prophet PBUH was no longer cared for by his Lord, because he had not received prophetic revelations for a long time.
Reading Surah Ad Dhuha
And here is the reading of surah Ad Dhuha in some form
بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
وَالضُّحَىٰ ﴿١﴾ وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا سَجَىٰ ﴿٢﴾ مَا وَدَّعَكَ رَبُّكَ وَمَا قَلَىٰ ﴿٣﴾ وَلَلْآخِرَةُ خَيْرٌ لَّكَ مِنَ الْأُولَىٰ ﴿٤﴾ وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ ﴿٥﴾ أَلَمْ يَجِدْكَ يَتِيمًا فَآوَىٰ ﴿٦﴾ وَوَجَدَكَ ضَالًّا فَهَدَىٰ ﴿٧﴾ وَوَجَدَكَ عَائِلًا فَأَغْنَىٰ ﴿٨﴾ فَأَمَّا الْيَتِيمَ فَلَا تَقْهَرْ ﴿٩﴾ وَأَمَّا السَّائِلَ فَلَا تَنْهَرْ ﴿١٠﴾ وَأَمَّا بِنِعْمَةِ رَبِّكَ فَحَدِّثْ ﴿﴾١١
- Wad duhaa
- Wal laili izha sajaa
- Ma wad da’aka rabbuka wa ma qalaa
- Walal-aakhiratu khairul laka minal-oola
- Wa la sawfa y’uteeka rabbuka fatarda
- Alam ya jidka yateeman fa aawaa
- Wa wa jadaka daal lan fahada
- Wa wa jadaka ‘aa-ilan fa aghnaa
- Fa am mal yateema fala taqhar
- Wa am mas saa-ila fala tanhar
- Wa amma bi ni’mati rabbika fahad dith
- By the morning sunlight,
- And [by] the night when it covers with darkness,
- Your Lord [O Prophet] has not abandoned you, nor has He become hateful [of you].
- And the next life is certainly far better for you than this one.
- And your Lord is going to give you, and you will be satisfied.
- Did He not find you as an orphan then sheltered you?
- And He found you lost and guided [you],
- And He found you poor and made [you] self-sufficient.
- So as for the orphan, do not oppress [him].
- And as for the beggar, do not repel [him].
- And proclaim the blessings of your Lord.
Hadith Surah Ad-Dhuha
“Muadh RA stood up and prayed Isha’, and made it lengthy. The Prophet SAW said: ‘Do you want to cause hardship to the people, O Mu’adh; do you want to cause hardship to the people O Mu’adh? Why didn’t you recite ‘Glorify the Name of your Lord Most High (Surah 87)’ or Ad-Duha (Surah 93) or; ‘When the heaven is cleft asunder (Surah 82)?” Muslim
Benefits Surah Ad-Dhuha
- Teaching to behave well with orphans
- Forgiven of all his sins
- Teaching to Have Empathy
- Reminding People to Be Grateful
- Making It Easy for Us to Perform Dhuha Prayers
- Fulfilled His Sustenance
- Help with depression and anxiety
- If Surah Ad-Duha is read together to the missing person, he will return home safe and sound. (Redirected from Fawaid-e-Quran)
- Eliminate the worries that come our way
With the lowering of surah Ad-Dhuha, the prophet’s heart became serene and more enthusiastic in preaching. In this surah Allah SWT swears by two kinds of signs of His greatness, namely dhuha with his light and with the night and his darkness.
Thus the explanation of surah Ad-Dhuha complete with transliteration, arabic, english translation and benefits that you can get if you always get used to reading this surah. Hopefully this article can be useful for all of you muslims.